Ferris Heights United Methodist Church
Tuesday, November 19, 2019
In God's name... Build, Belong, Serve. It's Our Legacy!

History

FERRIS HEIGHTS
UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
 
FHUMC History

 

The Ferris Heights United Methodist Church was organized in October 1937 by the consolidation of the Falls Church and the Dixon’s Chapel Church. Membership from Ike, Reagor Springs, Sterrett, Colliers Chapel and Buena Vista Methodist Churches came within the next few years. The first building was constructed from materials salvaged from the Falls Church on the corner at Center and Dunn St. Falls Church was torn down by John and Edward Brock, T. B. Brock, Brother Boulware and Brother T.H. Burton. The lot was purchased for $200.00. Dixon’s Chapel had burned. The first Ferris Heights Church building was dedicated by Bishop Boaz, January 2, 1938.

The first revival was held by Rev Oran Stephens June 23-July 3, 1938.

 

Rev. Quay Parmer was appointed to the Waxahachie Circuit in November 1938. Membership doubled while Rev. Parmer was at Ferris Heights. Construction on the first parsonage and first educational building adjoining the auditorium was begun in June 1941. Materials salvaged from the Reagor Springs Methodist Church was used in the project. Pews from the Ike Church were placed in the Sanctuary and pews from the Falls Church were being used in the educational building. Also during 1941, the Sterrett Church was sold and some of the furniture was given to Ferris Heights. Rev. Parmer resigned to accept a chaplaincy in the US Army in July 1941.

 

Groundbreaking for the 2nd sanctuary, now known as Wesley Hall, was in July 1950. The cornerstone was laid on November 19, 1950. First service was held in the new building on 2nd Sunday of December,1950. The stained-glass windows were gifted to us by First United Methodist Church Waxahachie when they were located on College Street. The Sanctuary was dedicated on January 2nd, 1955 by Bishop William C. Martin.

 

 

Groundbreaking for the present Educational Building was held on March 19, 1962 and first service was November 4, 1962 with Bishop Martin as guest preacher. The Educational Building was dedicated April 1971 in memory of Miss Flora B. Patterson with a stone bearing her name.

 

The Parking lot was paved in 1975 with 4 houses and 3 lots purchased from 1984-1985 for future expansion.

 The third sanctuary groundbreaking was in August 1988. An additional house was purchased in order to have adequate parking. First service was held March 12 ,1989 with Bishop John Russell, District Superintendent Tim Russell and Pastor Mike Ramsdell taking part in the consecration service.

 

 

The Prayer Garden was begun in 2000 and with special effort and work by Pastor Gus Guthrie, Scott and Deborah Green and many others was dedicated on October 30, 2005.